Thursday, February 16, 2012

How I Got Started: My Mother

Deluxe Old Style Book of Remembrance, Burgundy - Click Image to Close
2290093_product_list


When I got married, my mom handed me one of those old style Book of Remembrance. Being a genealogist, of course, I still have it. It is light blue, long and short with a soft cover. In it were stored a handful of family group records. Some hand written and others typed (yes, typed on a type writer). The pages contained names, dates and when done, ordinances. It was my beginning. My starting place.Those very bits of information that my mom had collected and saved.  I don't know if my mom felt inspired to give this to me or she felt that since I was now living in Salt Lake, I might be her only hope in getting something going on my dad's side of the family - the non LDS side of the family. The side ready and waiting!

So, I owe my start in genealogy to my mother. With those bits of information I was able to walk into the Family History Library in Salt Lake and begin what would become my life's work. At the time, I didn't know that genealogy was my life's work but my ancestors knew it and encouraged me and still do. Over the years, my ancestors have waited on me while I have pursed my other life's work - that of a mother. (So far,  I have found two main purposes to my life- my children and my ancestors). The bond I have developed with those ancestors that have waited on me is very strong.

Now, almost 19 years later, I want to thank my mom for giving me my start in genealogy. She encouraged me and I accepted that invitation. As stated in the Doctrine and Covenants: For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul.

Jilline

1 comment:

  1. Your Blog looks good - a lot of hard work. Maybe a different picture?!
    Teri says she'll miss seeing your other blog with pictures of the kids.
    You always amaze me with your memory of who is who and keeping everything so organized and what you have accomplished in genealogy; of bring so many names of your Dad''s ancestors to the Temple. All the while being a Wife, Mom to 6 children, and having involved church callings, you really are amazing.
    I so enjoyed our time together at the Rootstech Conference, almost like a holiday. Love You Mom

    ReplyDelete