Friday, December 14, 2012

Bigler Historical Monument

Hannah Bigler

A few weeks ago while reading the LDS Church News, I found an article about the Bigler family from    Harrison County, (West)Virginia. This peaked my interest because I am related to the Bigler family through my grandfather Dean Secrist. My 3rd great grandmother is Hannah Bigler born 24 June 1820 Clarksburg, Harrison, (West) Virginia. Of course I put "west" in parentheses because West Virginia did not exist when Hannah was born. Hannah's father Jacob Jr. and his brother Mark both joined the LDS Church in (West) Virginia and came west to Nauvoo, Illinois.


An attorney Tom O'Neill residing in Clarksburg, West Virginia became interested in the Bigler family, through the well known LDS Relief Society President Bathsheba Bigler (Hannah's cousin), who married George A. Smith. Mr. O'Neill decided that there should be a monument recognizing the Bigler family homestead in Harrison County. He researched the old land records, used modern software to convert the metes and bounds and ultimately found a large portion of the original Bigler property still in one piece in Enterprise, West Virginia. It is a tear drop piece of land near a bridge. Mr. O'Neill then used his resources and had a historical marker placed on the main road about a mile from the original Bigler Homestead. If you want to read the article go here http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/63004/Historical-marker-honors-Bathsheba-Smith.html#

The Bigler family were early settlers of Harrison County with the father Jacob Bigler, Sr. marrying in Pennsylvania, then moving to Harrison County and raising his family there. There are many interesting stories in the Bigler family. I will dedicate future posts to those stories. They were right in the thick of many happenings after joining the LDS Church.

Jacob Bigler, Sr. grave marker Enterprise, West Virginia

I appreciate the efforts of Tom O'Neill in placing the historical marker in remembrance of the Bigler's. When I get all the way to the east coast (which I will), I will be sure to make a stop in Enterprise, West Virginia, take a photo and of course write about it.
I appreciate the efforts of Tom O'Neill in placing this historical marker. When I get all the way to the east coast, I will visit this family marker and of course, write about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment